Yakima, March 13, 2001 ? Qwest Communications International Inc. (NYSE: Q), the broadband Internet communications company, today announced the launch of its all-digital wireless voice and data service in Yakima, WA.
Qwest wireless was the first wireless company able to seamlessly integrate wireless voice and data functionality with wireline office or home telephone service, paging and Internet browsing, e-mail and information streaming services previously accessible only by office or home PC.
?Qwest wireless makes it easy for busy people to stay in touch and get the information they need ? no more missed calls from clients or the kids, and you can access the Web, e-mail, or even a company intranet, on the go,? said Peter Mannetti, president of Qwest wireless.
Qwest wireless offers competitive price plans, caller ID and three-way calling as well as the following:
- Fully-Integrated Wireless and Wireline Service ? Qwest?s One Number Service makes it possible for office or home calls to ring on a customer?s wireless phone. To turn the feature on or off, customers simply press a few numbers on the wireless handset. Qwest?s Voice Messaging Link offers a single voice mailbox for office or home and wireless phones. Subscribers only need to dial one number to get all of their voice messages.
- Simplified Wireless Data Access ?
- Qwest's first-in-the-nation "talking Internet" service Voice BrowsingSM provides business locator services and personalized, up-to-date news, sports, traffic, airline, stock quotes and weather information to businesses and consumers. Qwest Voice Browsing subscribers dial *www (*999).
- Qwest?s enhanced BrowseNowâ service makes it easy to access the Internet from a wireless phone. BrowseNow subscribers can have a single email address for both their computer and their wireless phone.
- Qwest?s MessagePak SM sends word messages, numeric messages and a personalized selection of Internet news and information directly to a Qwest wireless phone.
- Qwest?s Dial-Up Access enables subscribers to link their PC, Palm Pilot or other PDA to their wireless phone. Subscribers can connect to their company Intranet, office or personal ISP, or use their phone for fax connections whenever and wherever they want.
Qwest wireless? network is based on an open, multi-vendor architecture that costs less to deploy than single-vendor systems and enables the company to quickly expand its portfolio of Internet-based products and services. The network was built in partnership with Alcatel, Ericsson, Nortel Networks, and Tekelec.
Pricing and Availability
Qwest wireless is now available in a number of Washington cities including: Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia, Longview, Bellingham, Spokane, Vancouver, the Tri Cities and Yakima. Qwest Wireless offers a variety of price plans that allow customers to tailor the service to meet their individual needs. Current plans include an expanded home coverage area, which allows callers to use their monthly pool of minutes anywhere within the Qwest Wireless footprint without incurring roaming charges. Plan highlights also include:
- Business 500 ? a $39.99 monthly rate includes 500 local weekday minutes, 1,000 local weekend minutes and long distance at no additional charge for all calls placed within the home calling area.
- Winter 500 ? a $39.99 plan for residential customers that includes 500 local weekday minutes, 1,000 local weekend minutes and long distance at no additional charge for all calls placed within the home calling area.
- Voice Browsing ? for only $4.95 per month (plus minutes of use from monthly plan), customers can ask for and listen to information they need, such as stock quotes, weather, sports, and news.
These plans as well as many others are available throughout Qwest Wireless coverage areas. For more information on Qwest Wireless offerings and coverage areas please visit us at www.qwest.com.
Qwest Communications International Inc. (NYSE: Q) is a leader in reliable, scalable and secure broadband Internet-based data, voice and image communications for businesses and consumers. The Qwest Macro Capacity® Fiber Network, designed with the newest optical networking equipment for speed and efficiency, spans more than 104,000 miles globally. For more information, please visit the Qwest web site at www.qwest.com.
This release may contain projections and other forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements may differ materially from actual future events or results. Readers are referred to the documents filed by Qwest with the Securities and Exchange Commission, specifically the most recent reports which identify important risk factors that could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements, including potential fluctuations in quarterly results, volatility of Qwest's stock price, intense competition in the communications services market, changes in demand for Qwest's products and services, dependence on new product development and acceleration of the deployment of advanced new services, such as broadband data, wireless and video services, which could require substantial expenditure of financial and other resources in excess of contemplated levels, higher than anticipated employee levels, capital expenditures and operating expenses, rapid and significant changes in technology and markets, adverse changes in the regulatory or legislative environment affecting Qwest's business and delays in Qwest's ability to provide interLATA services within its 14-state local service territory, failure to maintain rights of way, and failure to achieve the projected synergies and financial results expected to result from the acquisition of U S WEST timely or at all and difficulties in combining the operations of Qwest and U S WEST. This release may include analysts' estimates and other information prepared by third parties for which Qwest assumes no responsibility. Qwest undertakes no obligation to review or confirm analysts' expectations or estimates or to release publicly any revisions to any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.
The Qwest logo is a registered trademark of, and CyberCenter is a service mark of, Qwest Communications International Inc. in the U.S. and certain other countries.