SALT LAKE CITY, July 1, 2009 – The State of Utah (www.utah.gov) has chosen Qwest Communications International Inc. (NYSE: Q) (www.qwest.com/business) to deliver a cost-saving, converged voice and data network. With Qwest’s Ethernet solution, state and local government and businesses in Utah have access to additional bandwidth speeds to help satisfy increasing public demand for online services.
- Qwest began connecting 300 locations in Salt Lake City and along Utah’s Wasatch Front using Qwest’s Metro Optical Ethernet (QMOE) data networking platform. Thirty government sites have already been connected as part of the 3-year, $7.2 million agreement.
- The Qwest-designed solution leverages the power of Ethernet and optical technologies across metro area networks. The result is low-cost, scalable and secure bandwidth. Ethernet provides local area network (LAN-to-LAN) connectivity between two or more customer locations within a metro area and is suitable for a wide variety of applications.
- With speeds up to 1 gigabit per second (Gbps) to each site, Qwest’s network supports a number of bandwidth-intensive activities.
- In 2008 alone, the state used the network to process more than 10 million online transactions, including 49,053 driver’s licenses, 776,894 vehicle renewals and 90 percent of business license renewals.
- In addition to delivering bandwidth today, the network has the scalability to meet projected demand for online services.
CIO, State of Utah: "The speed and bandwidth of Qwest's Ethernet solution enables the State of Utah to offer convenient, accessible, and efficient government services to citizens and local businesses."
Sharon Montgomery, vice president, Qwest Government and Education Solutions: “We’re working with the State of Utah to help provide citizens with innovative ways to access government services. Qwest Ethernet lets people work online instead of standing in line at the DMV and other state agencies. Consolidating technologies saves the state time and money,quo;s business community.”
- Press Release: Online Government Continues to Grow in 2008, Utah Department of Technology Services, April 7, 2009
- Video: Why Do Business With Qwest?
- Webinar Replay: Do More, Spend Less: How Service Providers Can Help Consolidate IT Expenses
About Qwest Business
Qwest Business is a choice of 95 percent of Fortune 500 companies, offering a comprehensive portfolio of data and voice networking communications solutions to enterprises, government agencies and educational institutions of all sizes. The Qwest network covers the entire continental United States and has one of the largest fiber footprints in the U.S., capable of supporting 40Gbps data transmission rates. Go to Qwest.com/business to see why enterprises coast to coast rely on Qwest for first-class communications solutions and to learn more about Qwest’s commitment to perfecting the customer experience.
# # #
The marks that comprise the Qwest logo are registered trademarks of Qwest Communications International Inc. in the U.S. and certain other countries.
Qwest Media Contact