From Joe Nacchio - June 1, 1998
It is my pleasure today to announce the world-class senior management team that will lead the new Qwest as it continues to develop its leadership position in the industry. The blending together of the diverse talents represented by the Qwest and LCI greatly enhances our ability to develop, and deliver to customers, the next generation of communications services.
The new senior management team is comprised of executives from both LCI and Qwest. The new team will report to me as president and chief executive officer of Qwest. Leading the newly structured organization will be the following individuals:
- Lawrence J. Bouman, formerly of LCI, will become executive vice president of product development and multimedia services. Larry will be responsible for direction and implementation of Qwest?s product development and multimedia services.
- Stephen M. Jacobsen will become executive vice president of marketing and strategic accounts. Steve will oversee all corporate marketing, brand management and marketing strategy relative to Qwest designated strategic accounts.
- Brij Khandelwal will remain executive vice president and chief information officer. Brij is responsible for leading the company?s information technology vision of delivering services with clarity and simplicity.
- Joseph A. Lawrence, formerly of LCI, will become executive vice president of corporate development and chief administrative officer. Joe will have responsibility over all administrative functions, as wellcorporate development initiatives.
- Larry A. Seese will remain as executive vice president of network engineering and operations. Larry is responsible for planning, development, deployment, construction and operation of the Qwest Network.
- Lewis O. Wilks will remain president of business markets. Lew is responsible for bringing Qwest?s multimedia communications services to the business markets nationwide.
- Robert S. Woodruff will remain executive vice president and chief financial officer. Robert is responsible for all financing, accounting, reporting and analysis operations at Qwest.
- Gregory M. Casey will become senior vice president of broadband capacity. Greg will lead the marketing and sales programs within Qwest?s carrier market?s wholesale, broadband capacity division.
- John G. Musci, formerly of LCI, will become senior vice president of wholesale switch services. John will lead the marketing and sales programs within Qwest?s carrier market?s wholesale, switched services division.
- Reynaldo U. Ortiz will become senior vice president of international. Reynie is responsible for leading Qwest?s international business development and managing its international operations.
- John C. Taylor, formerly of LCI, will become senior vice president of consumer markets. John will be responsible for company?s consumer marketing and sales programs.
- A. Dean Wandry will remain senior vice president of government markets and fiber sales. Dean oversees Qwest?s Government Systems division and dark fiber sales program.
Qwest/LCI Merger Update
Both Qwest and LCI are preparing for their shareowner votes to approve the merger this Friday, June 5, 1998. Qwest has cleared all federal approvals for the proposed merger. The proposed merger has received FCC clearance; SEC clearance; Hart, Scott, Rodino approval and 48 of 50 state approvals. The remaining state approvals are expected to be cleared shortly.
All Employee Meeting
We will be holding a Qwest all-employee meeting this coming Tuesday, June 9 at 1:00 p.m. More details on location and call-in numbers will follow in the next few days. I look forward to seeing you all there.
This release may contain forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements may differ materially from actual future events or results. Readers are referred to the documents filed by Qwest with the SEC, specifically the most recent reports on Form 10-Q, which identify important risk factors that could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements, including potential fluctuations in quarterly results, dependence on new product development, rapid technological and market change, failure to complete the network on schedule, volatility of stock price, financial risk management and future growth subject to risks.
The Qwest logo is a registered trademark of Qwest Communications International Inc. in the U.S. and certain other countries.
Qwest Media Contact