DENVER – Dec. 7, 2010 – Qwest Communications (NYSE: Q) today announced a new program to broaden the pipeline of diverse students entering the law profession. The Qwest Pipeline to Diversity program debuts at Denver’s only comprehensive career and technical magnet school, the Career Education Center (CEC) Middle College of Denver.
- Thirty ninth-grade students will have the opportunity to participate in a year-long course designed to foster interest in the field of law.
- · Qwest attorneys will teach five sessions designed to bring the law to life. The last four sessions will profile different practice areas of the law through ties to relevant current events.
- · The course will culminate in a mock hate crime trial presented by the Qwest law department and developed by the Colorado Lawyers Committee’s Hate Violence Task Force.
- · The program will offer students the opportunity to be mentored by a Qwest attorney for the duration of their high school years.
Rich Baer, Qwest General Counsel and Chief Administrative Officer
“The legal team at Qwest is committed to developing and supporting programs that create opportunity and offer value for people of diverse backgrounds. Whether it is through our award-winning pro bono program, or through new initiatives like the Pipeline to Diversity program, we are pleased to do our part to ensure that the profession continues to provide for and reflect the great diversity of our communities.”
Domonic Martinez, C.E.C. Middle College of Denver Principal
“As the only comprehensive career and technical magnet school in Denver, C.E.C. welcomes partnerships with business that show the kind of innovative approach to learning that the Qwest Pipeline to Diversity program exemplifies.”
- More information on Qwest’s diversity program can be found here.
- Learn more about the mission of C.E.C. Middle College of Denver here.
- Find out about Colorado Lawyers Committee projects, including the Hate Violence Task Force here.
About C.E.C. Middle College of Denver
Denver Public Schools Career Education Center has been providing students with real-life learning experiences in dozens of career-oriented courses since 1976.CEC Middle College of Denver enrolls both full-time students who want a more intensive college or career-oriented experience and half-day students who take pre-professional courses at CEC while enrolled in their home high schools. There is no tuition and enrollment is open to any metro Denver high school student who wants to take full advantage of his or her career and academic options.
Customers coast to coast turn to Qwest's industry-leading national fiber-optic network and world-class customer service to meet their communications and entertainment needs. For residential customers, Qwest offers a new generation of fiber-optic-fast Internet service, high-speed internet solutions, as well as home phone, Verizon Wireless, and DIRECTV® services. Fortune 500 companies and other large businesses and wholesale customers, as well as small businesses and governmental agencies, choose Qwest to deliver a full suite of network, data and voice services. Additionally, Qwest participates in Networx, the largest communications services contract in the world and is recognized as a leader in the network services market by leading technology industry analyst firms.
The marks that comprise the Qwest logo are registered trademarks of Qwest Communications International Inc. in the U.S. and certain other countries.