Rapid City, August 15, 2000 — Qwest Communications International Inc. (NYSE:Q), the broadband internet communications company, today announced the deployment of Qwest DSL – a service that provides customers with "always on" data connections and high-speed access for Internet users in Rapid City. For as little as $19.95 a month, qualifying customers can surf the Internet at speeds nearly 10 times faster than a traditional dial-up modem.
Qwest was the first company to broadly deploy digital subscriber line (DSL) technology that keeps consumers and businesses continuously connected. Qwest DSL is currently offered in more than 40 cities within the 14-state region where Qwest provides local phone service.
"With Qwest DSL, there’s no more wait to access the World Wide Web," said Larry Toll, Qwest vice president-South Dakota. "DSL gives people another option for the speed and simplicity they need to make the Internet a vital part of their lives."
Qwest DSL technology provides customers:
- The ability to use the DSL line for a fax machine, or even voice phone calls in some applications, while simultaneously surfing the Internet.
- Speeds from 256 Kilobytes per second (Kbps) to 7 Megabytes per second (Mbps) – up to 250 times faster than traditional modems.
- A continuous "always-on" digital connection, letting customers simply open their Internet browser software to get access. The company also offers an "on-demand" service for customers who don't require the "always-on" feature.
- Their own private link to the Internet – over their existing phone line, increasing security and reliability and eliminating traffic jams from sharing a line with other users, as is the case with cable modems.
- A choice of numerous Internet service providers, including U S WEST.net.
Individuals and businesses interested in Qwest DSL can call 1-877-669-6342 for more information.
Qwest Communications International Inc. (NYSE: Q) is a leader in reliable, scalable and secure broadband Internet-based data, voice and image communications for businesses and consumers. The Qwest Macro Capacity® Fiber Network, designed with the newest optical networking equipment for speed and efficiency, spans more than 104,000 miles globally. For more information, please visit the Qwest web site at www.qwest.com.
This release may contain forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements may differ materially from actual future events or results. Readers are referred to the documents filed by Qwest and U S WEST with the SEC, specifically the most recent reports which identify important risk factors that could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements, including potential fluctuations in quarterly results, dependence on new product development, rapid technological and market change, failure to maintain rights of way, financial risk management and future growth subject to risks, adverse changes in the regulatory or legislative environment, and failure to achieve the synergies and financial results expected from the acquisition of U S WEST. This release may include analysts' estimates and other information prepared by third parties, for which Qwest assumes no responsibility. Qwest undertakes no obligation to review or confirm analysts' expectations or estimates or to release publicly any revisions to any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.
The Qwest logo is a registered trademark of, and CyberCenter is a service mark of, Qwest Communications International Inc. in the U.S. and certain other countries.
|Qwest Media Contact
|Qwest Media Contact