DENVER, May 23, 2007 - Qwest Communications International Inc. (NYSE:Q) today announced preliminary voting results following its annual shareholders' meeting at the Grand Hyatt Denver. At the meeting, shareholders elected 12 directors, including Richard C. Notebaert, Linda G. Alvarado, Charles L. Biggs, K. Dane Brooksher, Peter S. Hellman, R. David Hoover, Patrick J. Martin, Caroline Matthews, Wayne W. Murdy, Frank P. Popoff, James A. Unruh and Anthony Welters.
Shareholders also approved the ratification of KPMG LLP as Qwest's independent auditor for 2007, with 98 percent voting in favor.
In addition to the director election and the ratification of KPMG, results from the one board-sponsored proposal and the four shareholder-sponsored proposals are as follows:
- The Qwest Communications International Inc. Amended and Restated Equity Incentive Plan, endorsed by the Qwest board of directors, was approved by shareholders with 67 percent voting in favor.
- A proposal asking that the board of directors adopt a policy requiring the majority of future equity awarded to senior executives be performance based, with performance metrics being disclosed to shareholders, was rejected with 82 percent of shareholders voting against and 17 percent voting in favor.
- A proposal requesting the board of directors enact a policy giving shareholders the opportunity annually to ratify the compensation of named executive officers by means of an advisory resolution was rejected with 67 percent voting against, 20 percent voting in favor and 14 percent abstaining.
- A proposal requesting that the company seek shareholder approval of certain supplemental retirement benefits for senior executives was rejected by shareholders with 68 percent voting against and 32 percent voting in favor.
- A proposal that the board of directors establish a policy to require that an independent director who has not served as the company's CEO serve as its chairman was rejected by shareholders with 82 percent voting against and 17 percent voting in favor.
Qwest offers a unique and powerful combination of managed voice and data solutions for businesses, government agencies and consumers - locally and throughout the country. Customers coast to coast are turning to Qwest's industry-leading national fiber optic network and its Spirit of Service for quality products and superior customer experience. Qwest is a participant in Networx, the largest communications services contract in the world, to provide leading-edge voice, data and video services. For more information on Qwest, and its various operating subsidiaries, please go to www.qwest.com. For information about the products and services Qwest is offering in the Networx contract, visit www.gsanetworx.com.
The Qwest logo is a registered trademark of Qwest Communications International Inc. in the U.S. and certain other countries.