DENVER, July 10, 2001 ? Qwest Communications International Inc. (NYSE: Q), the broadband communications company, today announced the launch of its all-digital wireless voice and data service in Walla Walla, Washington. Qwest Wirelessä is the only wireless company able to seamlessly integrate wireless voice and data functionality with a customer?s office or home telephone service, paging and Internet browsing, e-mail and information streaming services previously accessible only by office or home PC.
?Qwest Wireless offers superior digital voice quality and clear calls when and where you need to communicate,? said Annette Jacobs, president of Qwest?s wireless unit. ?Our innovative voice and data solutions make it easy to keep in touch with the people and information you need.?
Qwest offers a variety of integrated solutions and competitive pricing throughout Washington, including:
- Cutting-Edge Voice Solutions ?
- With Qwest local phone service, customers can manage when, how and from whom they receive calls with solutions such as Talking Call Waiting, Caller ID and Security Screen.
- Qwest?s One Number Service integrates wireless voice and data functionality with wireline telephone service, making it possible for office or home calls to ring on a customer?s wireless phone. To turn the feature on or off, customers simply press a few numbers on the wireless handset.
- Qwest?s Voice Messaging Link offers a single Qwest voice mailbox for office or home and wireless phones. Subscribers only need to dial one number to get all of their voice messages.
- Simplified Wireless Data Access ?
- Qwest Virtual DeskSM ? provides an integrated mobile office solution that allows you to listen to or read your e-mail and calendar, as well as access the Internet and other desktop applications from your Qwest Wireless phone.
- Qwest?s Voice Browsing is a "talking Internet" service that provides business locator services and personalized, up-to-date news, sports, traffic, airline, stock quotes and weather. Qwest Voice Browsing subscribers dial *www (*999).
- Qwest?s enhanced BrowseNow service makes it easy to access the Internet from a wireless phone. BrowseNow subscribers can have a single e-mail address for both their computer and their wireless phone.
- Qwest?s MessagePak sends word messages, numeric messages and a personalized selection of Internet news and information directly to a Qwest wireless phone.
- Qwest?s Dial-Up Access enables subscribers to link their PC, Palm Pilot or other PDA to their wireless phone. Subscribers can connect to their company Intranet, office or personal ISP, or use their phone for fax connections whenever and wherever they want.
Qwest Wireless? network is based on an open, multi-vendor architecture that costs less to deploy than single-vendor systems and enables the company to quickly expand its portfolio of Internet-based products and services. The network was built in partnership with Alcatel, Ericsson, Nortel Networks, and Tekelec.
Pricing and Availability
In Washington, Qwest Wireless is available in Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia, Spokane, Yakima and the Tri-Cities (see coverage map for details). Qwest offers a variety of price plans that allow customers to tailor the service to meet their individual needs. All Qwest plans include a 12-state expanded home coverage area. Current plan highlights include:
- Deluxe Plan ? a $34.99 plan for residential customers that includes 200 weekday minutes, plus 2000 evening and weekend minutes, free voice messaging service and no domestic long-distance charges.
- Family Shared Plans ? a $59.99 monthly rate gives two callers 400 shared weekday minutes and 400 shared weekend minutes, and free long-distance for all calls placed from the customer?s home calling area. Also includes unlimited FREE calling between the two customers? wireless phones and to/from the billed home telephone number.
- Business Shared Plans ? Businesses can manage expenses by balancing heavy wireless users with light users on up to 200 phones while enjoying FREE calls between plan participants in the Qwest service area. In addition, if the wireless account is on the same bill as the business' Qwest wireline account, calls to the main billed telephone number on the account are also FREE.
These plans as well as many others are available throughout Qwest Wireless coverage areas. For more information on Qwest Wireless offerings and coverage areas please call 1 (800) 222-3772 or visit us at www.qwest.com/wireless.
Qwest Communications International Inc. (NYSE: Q) is a leader in reliable, scalable and secure broadband Internet-based data, voice and image communications for businesses and consumers. The Qwest Macro Capacity® Fiber Network, designed with the newest optical networking equipment for speed and efficiency, spans more than 106,000 miles globally. For more information, please visit the Qwest web site at www.qwest.com.
This release may contain projections and other forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements may differ materially from actual future events or results. Readers are referred to the documents filed by Qwest with the Securities and Exchange Commission, specifically the most recent reports which identify important risk factors that could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements, including potential fluctuations in quarterly results, volatility of Qwest?s stock price, intense competition in the communications services market, changes in demand for Qwest?s products and services, dependence on new product development and acceleration of the deployment of advanced new services, such as broadband data, wireless and video services, which could require substantial expenditure of financial and other resources in excess of contemplated levels, higher than anticipated employee levels, capital expenditures and operating expenses, rapid and significant changes in technology and markets, adverse changes in the regulatory or legislative environment affecting Qwest?s business and delays in Qwest?s ability to provide interLATA services within its 14-state local service territory, failure to maintain rights of way, and failure to achieve the projected synergies and financial results expected to result from the acquisition of U S WEST timely or at all and difficulties in combining the operations of Qwest and U S WEST. This release may include analysts? estimates and other information prepared by third parties for which Qwest assumes no responsibility. Qwest undertakes no obligation to review, or confirm analysts? expectations or estimates or to release publicly any revisions to any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.
The Qwest logo is a registered trademark of, and CyberCenter is a service mark of, Qwest Communications International Inc. in the U.S. and certain other countries.