DENVER, March 3, 2000 --Joseph P. Nacchio, Chairman and CEO of Qwest Communications International Inc., today announced the top executive team for the new Qwest that will be formed after the merger is completed mid-year.
The leaders announced today they will begin working with current executives of both companies to facilitate the merger process.
"The new Qwest will have the speed, energy and winning attitude of an entrepreneurial Internet business," said Nacchio. "We will combine the best qualities of both companies with a focus on our future, not our past. Our new organization has the challenge of building a new company that will lead the Internet revolution of this millennium."
Nacchio said he has four principles for how the new company is structured:
Place customers first and assure organizations responsible for customer relationships report to the CEO;
Insure continued Internet leadership as it represents the future of our business;
Focus on the core business infrastructure to insure service commitments are met and Qwest technology remains state of the art;
Provide support for new growth opportunities such as wireless and local broadband connectivity (DSL, VDSL) by creating focused, new "incubator" businesses.
In addition to helping close the merger, the new executive team will lead the continuing efforts to capture the synergies announced last July. The synergies are $12 billion in gross revenue; $4.4 billion in costs and $2.2 billion in capital expense over a five-and-one-half-year period after closing.
Reporting to Nacchio will be:
- Betsy Bernard, executive vice president, consumer and small business markets.
- Stephen M. Jacobsen, executive vice president, global business and government markets.
- Lewis O. Wilks, president, Internet and multimedia markets.
- Jim Smith, president, DEX (directories).
- Peter Mannetti, president, wireless business.
- Vacant, president, consumer broadband (VDSL) services.
- Afshin Mohebbi, president, worldwide network services and operations.
- John A. Kelley, executive vice president, 14-state network operations and engineering.
- David R. Boast, executive vice president, global network operations.
- Gregory M. Casey, executive vice president, wholesale markets.
- Augie Cruciotti, senior vice president, broadband local services (DSL, CLEC).
- Cliff Dodd, executive vice president and chief information officer.
- Robert S. Woodruff, executive vice president and chief financial officer.
- Janet Cooper, senior vice president and controller.
- Sean Foley, senior vice president and treasurer.
- Robin Szeliga, senior vice president, finance.
- Lee Wolfe, vice president, investor relations.
- Drake S. Tempest, executive vice president, general counsel and chief administrative officer.
Reporting to Tempest will be:
- Robert Connelly, senior vice president, legal affairs and deputy general counsel.
- R. Steven Davis, senior vice president, government affairs and deputy general counsel.
- Thomas J. Matthews, executive vice president, human resources.
- Michael P. Tarpey, senior vice president, communications.
- Marc B. Weisberg, senior vice president, corporate development.
Reporting to Mohebbi will be:
Reporting to Woodruff will be:
Other executive appointments will be announced at a later time.
About Qwest Qwest Communications International Inc. (NYSE: Q) is a leader in reliable, scalable and secure broadband Internet-based data, voice and image communications for businesses and consumers. The Qwest Macro Capacity® Fiber Network, designed with the newest optical networking equipment for speed and efficiency, spans more than 25,500 miles in North America. In addition, KPNQwest (Nasdaq: KQIP), Qwest?s European joint venture with KPN, the Dutch telecommunications company, is building and will operate a high-capacity European fiber optic, Internet-based network that will span 11,800 miles when it is completed in 2001. For more information, please visit the Qwest web site at www.qwest.com.
This release may contain forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements may differ materially from actual future events or results. Readers are referred to the documents filed by Qwest with the SEC, specifically the most recent reports which identify important risk factors that could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements, including potential fluctuations in quarterly results, dependence on new product development, rapid technological and market change, failure to maintain rights of way, financial risk management and future growth subject to risks, Qwest's ability to achieve Year 2000 compliance, adverse changes in the regulatory or legislative environment, and failure to complete the merger with U S WEST and achieve projected synergies and financial results timely or at all. This release may include analysts' estimates and other information prepared by third parties, for which Qwest assumes no responsibility. Qwest undertakes no obligation to review or confirm analysts' expectations or estimates or to release publicly any revisions to any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.
The Qwest logo is a registered trademark of Qwest Communications International Inc. in the U.S. and certain other countries.
Qwest Media Contact