DENVER, June 29, 2009—The Regional Transportation District (RTD) and Qwest Communications (NYSE: Q) have partnered to create a new monthly commuter discount program. Qwest is the first Colorado company to offer the FlexPass program, designed specifically for large companies that make pre-tax spending account options available to their employees. RTD’s FlexPass is a new product designed to offer employers an annual pass program that can be customized to meet the needs of the company and their employees.
- Qwest Denver-area employees who commute via RTD will receive a 10 percent discount when they purchase a monthly pass and sign up for the Qwest (pre-tax) Commuter Spending Account (CSA). The discounted monthly pass can be used either for bus or light rail transit.
- There are approximately 7,400 Denver metro-area Qwest employees who could take advantage of the FlexPass program and CSA savings.
- Qwest recently conducted a company-wide employee commuter survey that identified employees’ desire to save money and reduce their impact on the environment -- more than 8,400 employees participated. Results from the survey were instrumental in helping Qwest and RTD reach this milestone.
- RTD estimates that U.S. greenhouse gases from transportation represent 33 percent of total U.S. emissions and that the average Denver work commuter saves about $9,078 a year by taking public transit.
- Qwest also offers commuter programs in Portland, Seattle and Phoenix.
Chuck Ward, Qwest Colorado President: “We are proud and excited to offer Qwest employees in the Denver area a commuter program which allows them to save twice – through pre-tax savings and a discount – while also supporting their individual sustainability efforts.”
Cal Marsella, RTD General Manager/CEO: “RTD and Qwest designed a valuable program model that many Colorado companies can take advantage of to benefit their employees. We can now offer even more ways for commuters to realize the benefits of public transportation.”
Customers coast to coast turn to Qwest's industry-leading national fiber-optic network and world-class customer service to meet their communications and entertainment needs. For residential customers, Qwest offers a new generation of fiber-optic Internet service, high-speed internet solutions, as well as home phone, Verizon Wireless, and DIRECTV services. Qwest is also the choice of 95 percent of Fortune 500 companies, offering a full suite of network, data and voice services for small businesses, large businesses, government agencies and wholesale customers. Additionally, Qwest participates in Networx, the largest communications services contract in the world, and is recognized as a leader in the network services market by a leading technology industry analyst firm.
# # #
The marks that comprise the Qwest logo are registered trademarks of Qwest Communications International Inc. in the U.S. and certain other countries.
Qwest Media Contact:
Regional Transportation District