DENVER – Feb. 22, 2010 – The next evolution of Qwest High-Speed Internet® has arrived in many Front Range communities.* As Qwest Communications (NYSE: Q) expands its next-generation fiber-optic-fast Internet network, qualifying residents and small businesses in select areas can access connection speeds up to 40 Mbps downstream and 20 Mbps upstream – among the fastest upstream speeds available today.
· Qwest has expanded this fiber-optic-fast Internet service to parts of the following
o Bow Mar
· This new service is also available to select areas in
· These speed enhancements power faster video and picture sharing, improve online video chat experiences and provide smoother online-gaming experiences, as well as enhance the performance of home networks connecting multiple devices. The increase in both upstream and downstream connection speeds also complements current Qwest offerings, such as automatic online backup service, movie downloads from Starz® Play and Video-on-Demand services through its DIRECTV® partnership.
· The increase in both upstream and downstream connection speeds also complements current Qwest offerings, such as automatic online backup service, movie downloeo-on-Demand services through its DIRECTV® partnership.
o &nbs;/span>These speeds are available to qualifying customers at the following prices:
o Connection speeds of up to 40 Mbps downstream with up to 5 Mbps upstream, starting at $99.99 a month for the first 12 months when combined with a qualifying home phone plan.
o Connection speeds of up to 40 Mbps downstream with up to 20 Mbps upstream, starting at $109.99 a month for the first 12 months when combined with a qualifying home phone plan.
o Qualified customers with 7 Mbps, 12 Mbps or 20 Mbps downstream speed tiers can upgrade to 5 Mbps upstream speeds for an introductory rate of $5 more a month.
· Qwest’s premium service, delivering connection speeds up to 40 Mbps downstream and 20 Mbps upstream, allows users to:o Download an average 30-minute TV show in as little as 44 seconds.
o Download an HD movie in as little as 10 minutes.
o Upload about 15 high-quality photos in as little as 8 seconds.
o Upload a 3-minute video file in as little as 10 seconds.
· To check the availability of service in a specific area, visit http://www.qwest.com/morespeed. Customers also can sign up to receive notification of faster speeds deployed to their neighborhood at the site, or by visiting the Qwest Internet Online Community forums.
· This technology expands on Qwest’s ongoing fiber-to-the-node (FTTN) deployment, which recently hasntial and small-business customers throughout its local service region and aims to pass an additional 1 million homes by the end of 2010.
“The Internet is no longer just a content source; it's a platform where users can create and share their own content. It's no longer just being accessed from computers, either; it's feeding content to additional devices like set-top boxes and game consoles. This is the evolution of the Internet, and Qwest is advancing it by delivering these faster speeds and providing an even richer broadband experience at competitive prices.”
· Qwest Fiber-Optic-Fast Internet Service and Availability: www.qwest.com/morespeed
· VDSL2 Broadband Fact Sheet here
· Speed Comparison Demo Video here* Qwest High-Speed Internet: Service not available in all areas. Fiber-optics exists from the neighborhood terminal to the Internet. Fiber-optic services are available only in select areas. Activation fee applies. Prices exclude taxes, surcharges and other fees. With approved credit. Requires compatible modem. Subject to additional restrictions and subscriber agreement.
Customers coast-to-coast turn to Qwest's industry-leading national fiber-optic network and world-class customer service to meet their communications and entertainment needs. For residential customers, Qwest a new generation of fiber-optic-fast Internet service, high-speed Internet solutions, as well as digital home phone, wireless service available through Verizon Wireless and DIRECTV® services. Qwest is also the choice of 95 percent of Fortune 500 companies, offering a full suite of network, data and voice services for small businesses, large businesses, government agencies and wholesale customers. Additionally, Qwest participates in Networx, the largest communications services contract in the world, and is recognized as a leader in the network services market by a leading technology industry analyst firm.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.