MONROE, La., March 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- CenturyLink, Inc. (NYSE: CTL) is dedicated to protecting its customers' Internet experience and, timed with National Consumer Protection Week, has released a list of recommended precautions to promote safe Internet use. National Consumer Protection Week (NCPW) is an annual campaign that encourages consumers to take full advantage of their consumer rights and make better-informed decisions. NCPW 2012 takes place March 4 -10.
"CenturyLink's vision is to improve lives, strengthen businesses and connect communities by delivering advanced technologies and solutions with honest and personal service," said Dave Mahon, vice president and Chief Security Officer at CenturyLink. "Given the increasing use of the Internet, we felt it was important to offer tips to raise awareness of how you can protect yourself when you are online."
Six Tips to Increase Internet Safety
- Always make sure that your PC or Mac system software is up to date
- Make sure you have antivirus software, and that the most current version is installed to protect against new threats
- Scan hard disk(s) at least once every two weeks to detect and remove all viruses, worms, trojans, or other software, which allow unauthorized remote control of your systems
- Replace "simple" passwords, such as 1234 or "password" with alpha-numeric ones
- Never post personal info in chat rooms or engage in offline chats or meetings
- Do not share contact info in Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or similar posts or profiles
- For additional information and tips, please visit: http://security.centurylink.net/article/7-practices-for-computer-security
The official website of National Consumer Protection Week (NCPW), NCPW.gov, offers consumers tips and information from federal and state government and non-profit partner organizations.
CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States. The company provides broadband, voice, wireless and managed services to consumers and businesses across the country. It also offers advanced entertainment services under the CenturyLink™ Prism™ TV and DIRECTV brands. In addition, the company provides data, voice and managed services to enterprise, government and wholesale customers in local, national and select international markets through its high-quality advanced fiber optic network and multiple data centers. CenturyLink is recognized as a leader in the network services market by key technology industry analyst firms, and is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and hosted IT solutions for enterprises through Savvis, a CenturyLink company. CenturyLink's customers range from Fortune 500 companies in some of the country's largest cities to families living in rural America. Headquartered in Monroe, La., CenturyLink is an S&P 500 company and is included among the Fortune 500 list of America's largest corporations. For more information, visit www.centurylink.com.
SOURCE CenturyLink, Inc.