5 Tips for Safe Online Shopping
Internet retail sales continue to grow and hundreds of billions of dollars continue to be spent as online spending increases. For those of you looking to avoid the security pitfalls of online shopping, the following tips should help keep your information safe:
- Be leery about trying to get something for free. If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. Entering your personal information into online forms or sending information via e-mail can be simply a trick to gain access to your personal information.
- Don’t disable automatic security tools to speed up online searches and page loads. These tools are in place for a reason, and turning them off can lead to malware infections.
- Avoid using the “keep me logged on” option on web sites. This “convenience feature” is great if you are at home, but a potential security issue if you are logging on from a public computer.
- Don’t ignore automatic updates. These updates fix vulnerabilities that hackers use to access your system.
- Never open e-mails from people you don’t know, or click on attachments or URL links (a website address). This is a tried and true method for delivering malware.
Check out our CenturyLink Security Blog for more online safety tips.