Ft. Collins, Colo., Sept. 17, 2009 – This fall, Qwest and Colorado State University will recognize Poudre School District elementary students in grades 3 through 5, who are making a difference at their schools and in their communities through the Qwest Playmaker Award program.
The award program encourages Poudre School District elementary school teachers and principals to nominate students who demonstrate leadership and concern for others and their community to be a Qwest Playmaker. For more information go to:http://www.csurams.com/qwestplaymaker/.
All 32 Poudre elementary schools are eligible to participate. Two winners will be selected prior to each 2009 CSU Rams home football game. The selection of winners is based on a letter of recommendation from a school faculty member. Each winner will receive:
· Four tickets to a CSU football home game and the oppo;b>on the field for the coin toss.
· A $250 grant to their elementary school from Qwest.
· A chance to be selected as the Grand Prize winner with the opportunity to host an end-of-season pep rally with CSU coaches, cheerleaders and the Rams mascot CAM the Ram.
· Poudre School District is a K-12 public school district in Larimer County in northern Colorado. The district operates and manages the public schools in the city of Fort Collins, as well as in the towns of Wellington and Timnath, and unincorporated communities of Larimer County, including Laporte and Livermore.
This Weeks’ Winners:
· Christopher Gonzalez, 11 years old, 5th grade, Irish Elementary t;Ft. Collins): Nominated by his 5th-grade teachers, Mrs. Gillis and Mrs. O’Farrell. Excerpt from nomination:
“Chris is responsible, helpful cheerful, engaged and is a real leader in the classroom…He simply wants to help, and he does an amazing job. Our school is a better place because of Chris’ service to our school.”
· Derrick Karas, 10 years old, 5th Grade, Bethke Elementary (Timnath, Colo.): Nominated by his 4th-grade teacher, Sarah Bruhn. Excerpt from nomination:
“He participated in intramurals, had a role in the school play, was an active member in student council, and was involved in a children’s theater all while maintaining straight A’s in the classroom. Derrick is a true example of the four character traits that Bethke stands for: respect, responsibility, kindness and integrity.”
· Poudre School District elementary students in grades 3 through 5 are eligible. All entries must include nomination form and a letter of recommendation from teacher or principal. Click here to download nomination form. The letter of recommendation should highlight the student’s leadership skills and how she/he is making a difference at her/his school and/or in the community.
·<span font-size:="" 10pt;="" color:="" black;="" font-family:="" "arial","sans-serif""="" style="box-sizing: border-box;">Entries may be submitted starting Aug. 28, 2009, and must be received no later than Nov. 13, 2009, to be considered for the 2009 CSU Qwest Playmaker Award program. Please see game schedule below and entry deadlines for each game.
2009 CSU Football Home Schedule and Qwest Playmaker Award Entry Deadlines
Sept. 12 vs. Weber State
Winners: Derrick Karas, 10 years old,
5th Grade, Bethke Elementary (Timnath, Colo.)
Christopher Gonzalez, 11 years old,
5th grade, Irish Elementary (Ft. Collins)
Sept. 19 vs. Nevada
Entry deadline: Sept. 4, 2009
Oct. 24 vs. San Diego State
Entry deadline: Oct. 9, 2009
Oct. 31 vs. Air Force
Entry deadline: Oct. 16, 2009
Nov. 27 vs. Wyoming
Entry deadline: Nov. 13, 2009