DENVER – Sept. 23, 2009 –Qwest Communications (NYSE: Q) has launched a social media contest to raise awareness about the importance of backing up important data. The contest, modeled after Qwest’s existing “Crash Happens” advertising campaign, encourages people to submit their stories of data loss and recovery to help others learn from their experiences. Entrants have a chance to win a prize package worth more than $1,000.
· Crash Happens is a user-generated content (UGC) contest, located at www.winwithqwest.com, which asks entrants to submit videos, photos or blogs describing their stories of ill-timed computer crashes or other forms of data loss. Entrants are then asked to explain how Qwest’s automatic online backup service could have saved the day.
· The Qwest Crash Happens contest runs through Oct. 6. The contest is hosted by The Social Media SolutionTM, Brickfish®. Through the use of the Brickfish platform participants can create personalized brand-focused UGC and then virally share the contest and their content with their social networks via widgets, IM, blogs and e-mail. The contest is open to those 18 and older, living within Qwest’s 14-state region.
· The Grand Prize winner, selected by Qwest from the top 25 highest scoring entries, will have his or her submission promoted and showcased on Qwest’s online channels and will receive a Dell Inspiron™ Mini 10 Netbook, a Flip UltraHD™ camera and twelve $50 Qwest reward cards to help pay for a Qwest High-Speed Internet® bill for a year.
· In addition to the Grand Prize winner, prizes will be awarded to one Runner-Up and one “Most Viral” winner. Both of these winners, selected by Qwest from the top 25 highest scoring entries in each category, will receive a Dell Inspiron™ Mini 10 Netbook, a Flip UltraHD™ camera and six $50 Qwest reward cards to help pay for a Qwest High-Speed Internet® bill for six months.
· Qwest is promoting the contest through online marketing channels, as well as through its social media program, including a Twitter campaign that offers tweeters a chance to win free Qwest High-Speed Internet service for a month. Details atwww.twitter.com/winwithqwest.
· Qwest High-Speed Internet service includes free 2 GB of automatic online backup space – with more space available for purchase – allowing customers to protect priceless photos, music and documents with off-site security.
Todd Townsend, vice president of Qwest Consumer Marketing
“Let’s face it: computers can crash, coffee can spill and laptops can get stolen. That’s why we offer automatic online backup service to Qwest High-Speed Internet customers – to help them avoid losing their music library, precious photos and other digital valuables.”
“It’s not funny at the time, but sharing stories of data loss can be a cathartic, maybe even a humorous way to remind us all of the importance of backing up critical files. This contest is a fun way for people to do that, and for us to connect with our customers.”
· View entries and submit stories to the “Crash Happens” contest page at www.winwithqwest.com.
· Review “Crash Happens” contest rules here.
· Follow the “Crash Happens” Twitter Promotion at www.twitter.com/winwithqwest
· Learn about Qwest Automatic Online Backup service at www.qwest.com/digitalvault
· View the Qwest Personal Digital Vault Fact Sheet here
· View Qwest’s Online Backup Tips here
· Learn about The Social Media SolutionTM, Brickfish: www.brickfish.com/company